Cell Phone Policy
In March 2015, the Department of Education modified their cell phone regulations empowering each school community to devise its own Student Cell Phone Policy. In consultation with our School Leadership Team and in accordance with Chancellor’s Regulation A-413, our school’s cell phone policy for 2021-2022 is as follows:
- Students are permitted to have in their possession: cell phones, “smart” wearables, laptops, iPads, and other similar computing devices. The decision to possess such devices is best left to each family to determine.
- Please be aware that school staff will not be able to investigate the loss, theft, or damage of such devices, therefore parents/guardians are requested to utilize good judgment making this decision.
- All devices must be turned off at all times while in school, unless for use for instructional purposes as directed by the teacher.
- Any students found to be using a cell phone/computing device without the permission of their teacher will have the device confiscated. Confiscated devices will only be returned to parents/guardians between the hours of 8:00 AM and 3:45 PM in the main office.
- Students may not make or receive phone calls and/or texts or access any form of Social Media while at school (i.e. Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, etc.).
- Cell phones/computing devices may not be turned on or used during the administration of any school quiz, test or examination. The use of cell phones/computing devices and other electronic devices during the administration of NYS examinations are governed by the New York State Education Department Rules.
- Cell phones/computing devices may not be turned on or used during school fire drills or other emergency preparedness exercises. The above policy was created with the expectation of maintaining a positive school culture and climate that provides students with a supportive environment in which to grow both socially and academically. Kindly refrain from texting and calling students during the school day on their cell phones as it impedes the educational process. In case of an emergency, please call the school.
Students who do not adhere to our school’s policy, Chancellor’s Regulation A-413, and/or the DOE’s Internet Acceptable Use and Safety Policy (“IAUSP”), will be subject to disciplinary actions in accordance with the DOE’s Discipline Code in the Citywide Behavioral Expectations. Should you have any questions regarding the LAMS Cell Phone Policy, please contact our parent coordinator or deans at 718-335-7500.